The medulloblastoma is highly malignant (grade IV) and usually originates in the cerebellum, the region of the brain that plays an important role in the integration of sensory perception, coordination and motor control.
* Type of primitive neuroectodermal tumor, which is invasive and rapidly growing
* Unlike most brain tumors, spreads through the cerebrospinal fluid and frequently metastasizes to other locations in the brain and spine
* Most occur near brain stem
* May obstruct fourth ventricle, causing water on the brain
* Occurs most often in children under age 10, but can occur in adults
* Slightly more common in males than females
Medulloblastomas are the most common pediatric brain tumors. The annual U.S. incidence rate: two per 100,000.